What is a Focus Program?
KA now offers expanded programs to help meet students’ individual learning styles and interests. These programs allow students to customize their high school experience through a variety of new and enhanced learning options. These options include High School Focus Programs and Virtual Cooperative Education.
These programs help to meet the needs, interests and strengths of all students, engaging them in learning and better preparing them for graduation and beyond.
What is a KA Focus Program?
A KA Focus Program allows students to focus their learning on a special economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
What are they?
KA Focus Programs let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
Students receive the KA Focus Program Certificate when they:
- complete a specific bundle of 8-10 courses in the student's selected field
- earn valuable industry certifications including first aid and CPR qualifications
- gain important skills on the job through cooperative education placements.
Who are they for?
Grade 11 and 12 students who are (Computer Science and Business begins in Grade 9):
- heading for apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace
- wanting to identify, explore and refine their career goals and make informed choices about their next steps after secondary school.
How can they help?
Students have the opportunity to:
- gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at school
- earn valuable industry certifications, including first aid and CPR qualifications.
Key Benefits of a KA Focus Program
Pursuing a KA Focus Program helps students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents.
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills.
- Earn credits that postsecondary educational institutions and the sector recognize.
- Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training.
- Develop essential skills and work habits
- Identify and explore career goals and make informed decisions about their future.
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change
How is a KA Focus Program recognized?
Students who successfully complete a KA Focus Program receive:
- An embossed certificate signed by the Director of KA
- A Focus Program Record documenting his/her achievement
- Formal recognition in an embossed letter that outlines the program and the students success signed by the Director of KA
KA Focus Programs are available in the following sectors:
- Health and Wellness
- Computer Science
- Sports Health