Sports Health Focus Program
At Kanata Academy we offer a Sports Health Focus Program designed to meet the needs of students and athletes from recreational level to elite level who intend to maintain a lifelong connection to sport, health, fitness and leisure activities. The Sport Health Focus Program is intended for students who have their sights set on careers in areas such as Sport Science, Health Care & Health Promotion, Medicine, Nutrition & Dietetics, Kinesiology, Gerontology, Naturopathy, Sports therapy, and Physiotherapy.
Courses include, but are not limited to, Small Movement Physical Education, Personal Fitness, Kinesiology, Nutrition, Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
Students will participate in Cooperative Education placements and gain first-hand experience. Students will also participate in learning opportunities presented by Academic professionals, Business professionals, Fitness Coordinators and Medical Specialists working in this field.
Students will earn an embossed Sports Health Focus Certificate signed by the Principal and Director of Kanata Academy along with an embossed reference letter to include in their Portfolios.
What is a Sports Health Focus Program
Our focus programs let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma(OSSD).
Why consider a Sports Health Focus Program?
This program enables students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and skills
- Complete sector recognized certifications to build their resume
- Prepare for post-secondary opportunities
- Explore and refine their career goals
- Earn the Sports Focus Program Distinction Certificate to add to their portfolio
- Engage in experiential learning with like-minded peers
Jobs Related to a Sports Health Focus Program
Special Events Coordinator
Broadcasting Sports Director
Film or Video Camera Operator
Recreation Facility Manager
Sports Announcers and Broadcasters
Technical and Coordinating Occupations in Sports Broadcasting
Health and Physical Education Teacher
Sports Author or Writer
Sports Media Producer
Sports Public Relations and Communications
Operators and Attendants in Recreation and Sport
Outdoor Sport and Recreational Guide
Recreation/Sport Program Instructor
Sports Equipment Assembler and Inspector
Sports Officials and a Referee
Required Components for the Sports Health Focus Program
A bundle of nine grade 11 and 12 credits comprising of:
- Four sports major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills ( may include a max on one cooperative education credit)
- Three other required credits from the Ontario Curriculum in English, Mathematics and a choice of business studies, science, social sciences and humanities, or cooperative education.
- Two cooperative education credits that provide authentic learning experiences in a workplace setting, enabling students to refine, extend, apply and practise sector-specific knowledge and skills.
- Six-sector recognized certifications and or/training courses/programs( 3 compulsory and 3 electives
- Experiential learning and career exploration activities within a sector
- Reach ahead experiences connected with the student’s post secondary plans.
Requirements for a Sports Health Focus Program
Three Electives(Choose from the list below)
|Advanced training in a technique( e.g. fundamental skills in sport, fundamental movement skills, paddling technique, spinning)||Coaching -performance||Coaching- theory||Communication skills|
|compass/map/global positioning skill (GPS)||Concussion awareness||Conflict resolution||Customer service|
|Equity and inclusion||ergonomics||Ethical considerations||Event coordination|
|Incident management||Innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship||Instructor certification||Leadership skills|
|Life- saving||Marine safety/marine first aid||officiating||Personal training|
|Pleasure craft operator||Portfolio development||Project management||Risk management|
|Sector-specific software||Sport nutrition||Sport program design||Sports team trainer certification|
|Wilderness first aid||Wilderness survival||Working with individuals with disabilities||Wrapping and taping for performance and injury|