Health and Wellness Focus Program
At KA we offer a Health & Wellness Focus Program designed to meet the needs of students interested in the Health & Medical field. This Focus Program is intended for students who have their sights set on careers in areas such as Sport Science, Health Care & Health Promotion, Medicine, Nutrition & Dietetics, Nursing, Massage Therapy Naturopathy, Paramedic and Alternative medicine.
Courses include, but are not limited to Kinesiology, Nutrition, Biology, Physics, Health Care and Chemistry. Students will participate in Cooperative Education placements and gain first-hand experience. Students will also participate in learning opportunities presented by Academic professionals, Business professionals, and Medical Specialists working in this field.
Students will earn an embossed Health & Wellness Focus Certificate signed by the Principal and Director of KA along with an embossed reference letter to include in their Portfolios.
What is a Health and Wellness Focus Program?
Our focus programs let students focus on a career path that matches their skills and interests while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma(OSSD).
Why consider a Health and Wellness Focus Program?
This program enables students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and skills
- Complete sector recognized certifications to build their resume
- Prepare for post-secondary opportunities
- Explore and refine their career goals
- Earn the Sports Focus Program Distinction Certificate to add to their portfolio
- Engage in experiential learning with like-minded peers
Jobs Related to a Sports Health Focus Program
Child and Youth Worker
Early Childhood Educator
Ambulance attendants and other paramedical occupations
Biomedical engineering technologist
Community and Social Service Worker
Dental Hygienist or Dental Assistant
Funeral Director or Embalmer
Health Care Aide
Hospital Information Clerk
Medical Laboratory Technician
Primary Care Paramedic
Registered Massage Therapist
Registered Orthopaedic Technologist
Audiologist or Speech Language Pathologist
Family, Marriage and other counsellors
Hospital Equipment Sales
Blood Donor Clinic Assistant
Certified Personal Trainer
Doctor’s office receptionist
Hospital Admitting Clerk
Recreation Program Leader
Required Components for the Health and Wellness Focus Program
A bundle of nine grade 11 and 12 credits comprising of:
- Four health and wellness major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills ( may include a max on one cooperative education credit)
- Three other required credits from the Ontario Curriculum in English, Mathematics and a choice of business studies, science, social sciences and humanities, or cooperative education.
- Two cooperative education credits that provide authentic learning experiences in a workplace setting, enabling students to refine, extend, apply and practise sector-specific knowledge and skills.
- Seven - sector recognized certifications and or/training courses/programs( 4 compulsory and 3 electives
- Experiential learning and career exploration activities within a sector
- Reach ahead experiences connected with the student’s post secondary plans.
- Development of essential skills and work habits required in the sector, and documentation of them.
Requirements for the Health and Wellness Program
Three Electives(Choose from the list below)
|Advanced training in a technique( e.g. fundamental skills in sport, fundamental movement skills, paddling technique, spinning)||Allergy awareness||Ambulation, lifting, and transfers||Animal first aid|
|babysitting||Behaviour management||Child safety and injury prevention||Communication skills|
|Concussion awareness||Conflict resolution||Customer service||Ethical considerations|
|Fire safety and extinguisher use||fitness||Food Handler Certification||Group dynamics|
|Innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship||Lab practices||Leadership skills||Marine and wilderness first aid|
|Medical terminology||Mental Health First Aid||Non-violent crisis intervention||Personal training|
|Personal inventory||Portfolio development||Project management||Safe body mechanics|
|Safe food handling-basic||Sign language||Specialized care( diabetes, dementia, nutrition)||Sterile techniques|
|Stress management techniques||SafeTALK||Waste management||Wrapping and taping for performance and injury|